Meningie Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Meningie
Meningie is a small town situated in South Australia, Australia. Despite its size, the town has a rich history of distinguished and famous people who have contributed to the town's success and development. Here are some of the most notable individuals from Meningie.
1. Graham Gunn - Born in Meningie in 1956, Graham Gunn is a former Australian rules footballer who played for the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL) in the 1990s. He played in 17 AFL matches, primarily as a ruckman.
2. John Hill - John Hill was a former Australian politician who represented the electoral district of Kaurna in the South Australian House of Assembly from 1997 until 2014. Hill was born in Meningie in 1950 and attended Meningie Area School before going on to study at Flinders University.
3. James Kent - Born in Meningie in 1869, James Kent was a prominent horticulturist and author. Best known for his work on the cultivation of exotic fruits, Kent authored several books on the subject and contributed greatly to the development of horticulture in Australia.
4. Frank Ryan - Frank Ryan was a well-known politician and activist who was born in Meningie in 1902. A member of the Australian Communist Party, Ryan was an outspoken critic of Australian Imperialism and played a key role in the Communist Party of Australia.
5. Tom Savige - Born in Meningie in 1890, Tom Savige was a decorated Australian army officer who served in World War I and World War II. Savige was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his service in World War I, and later went on to lead the Australian Army's New Guinea Force during World War II.
6. Albert Tucker - Albert Tucker was a renowned Australian painter and one of the most influential artists of his time. Born in Meningie in 1914, Tucker's work frequently explored Australian mythology and landscape, and he is considered one of the pioneers of Australian modernism.
7. Roy Rene - Born Henry van der Sluys in Meningie in 1891, Roy Rene was an Australian comedian and vaudeville performer who was known for his comic routines and characters such as "Mo McCackie". Rene was a popular figure in Australian entertainment in the 1920s and 1930s.
8. Robyn Archer - Born in Meningie in 1948, Robyn Archer is a celebrated Australian singer, writer and director. Archer has performed across the globe and is particularly well known for her interpretations of Kurt Weill's music.
These are just a few of the many notable individuals from Meningie. Despite its size, this small town has produced some of Australia's finest artists, politicians, and sporting heroes.